Friday, December 07, 2007

Pearl Harbor Day

USS Shaw under attack

My wife and I were headed to the Post Office today to mail a shipment of Christmas presents off and on the way in I noticed the flag was flying half-mast. I wondered why, and thought it might have something to do with some of the recent rampage-shootings.

While weighing in our packages, the woman working there gave me the date for a form I was doing and said "December 7th, Pearl Harbor Day". I felt bad because I had forgotten - not that it was today, but the date in general. I'm sort of in vacation-mode now and lose track of days sometimes.

I'd like to say thank you to all of the service men and women who died and served that day. I've been to Hawaii a few times, but never to the memorial in Pearl Harbor. I think I should do that my next trip out.

I am of the "younger generation", but I don't want to forget and I want my kids to always remember the incredible sacrifices my grandparent's generation gave for our country. So, thank you to all.

No comments: