Sunday, December 16, 2007

Another Zombie Movie...

WARNING - Spoiler:
I just came back from watching Legend in IMAX. It was a few more bucks, but definitely worth it.

Well to cut to the chase, for about a third of the movie, you'll see Will carrying around a pretty common (for the military) M4 with an ACOG and a rail-mounted light. From this still shot of the trailer, it looks like a laser-light combination, but he never uses the laser in the movie. He never did find night vision which doesn't seem too likely given that he was military. You'll also see him with a Beretta M9A1, what looks like an H&K USP and another semi-auto with a SS slide that he fishes out of a drawer in his apartment (sorry too quick for me to ID). Aside from using his M4 to hunt deer (which is plausible) there aren't any utterly unrealistic firearms depictions in the movie aside from the classic: no hearing damage from discharging a firearm within an enclosed area.

As for the story. I liked it. My wife thought there were too many "what a stupid move that was" or "what the hell was he thinking then" scenes to really enjoy the movie, but my wife always over thinks plots. Aside from using his dog to hunt deer with by chasing them, I didn't see too many things that I thought made the plot unbearable.

I recently read a great article on the Alpha Rubicon site that totally does away with the effectiveness of backpack survival. The author argues that the only stable survival situation in many cases is a small self-sufficient, relatively-isolated community. The movie depicts just this as the final sanctuary of civilization.

Go check it out (correct my mistakes above) and enjoy it. If you're living in NYC if something like this happens, I doubt you'd be as lucky.


Visit the Official I Am Legend Website

No comments: