Friday, November 02, 2007

To Hunt or Not-to-Hunt

I've always wanted to go hunting. I can't describe it, but maybe it's being outdoors, maybe it's exercising my rights, maybe it's the challenge and thrill, maybe it's the self-sufficiency... I don't know.

When I think about it, depending on what's being hunted, I don't have any moral qualms. I'm not so superior to think that it's inherently cruel. I did see a video of a guy talking an elephant from about 50 or so yards and it bothered me. On a different note, I don't eat octopus sushi - yeah, because I don't like the texture, but also because I really admire their intelligence and... no, you know what... now I am sounding superior. I don't like the way octopus tastes. I like elephants and lots of other creatures - alive. I don't think I want to get into the rationalization-game here. I just want to learn to hunt. Maybe I'll hunt varmints. Maybe I'll hunt game I can eat. Maybe I'll go after a trophy.

I really do want to earn my right to hunt. I dunno if that makes sense or not, but I know I wasn't raised in a hunting family and that's fine. I do want to respect other hunters and most importantly the game. So, I'll have to figure out how I can get started. That is, if my wife "let's me".

No comments: