Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Advantage Arms Glock 30 Conversion

I've been having a hard time finding a 19/23 LE kit. I was on TopGlock.com's backorder list for over a month and a half. I found 29/30 kits were more available so I picked one up. I only have one magazine for it, so I can't properly use it to train for my CCW, but that's just a matter of time.

I was very nicely impressed with the quality. Even the translucent case is very nice. It even has two locking holes next to the handle. I had some problems getting the slide to lock on assembly, but there's probably a little trick to doing it smoothly. I should probably read the instructions fully. My bad.

It comes with some pretty clear warnings about ammo to stay away from. So, I started of with a 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mags. I couldn't get through a single mag with out a FTF, FTI, or some other strange malfunction. I'm really hoping that it was due to a lack of cleaning or a faulty mag (which I wouldn't be so psyched about).

I've only been to the range once with it and had quite a lot of problems with it. I didn't clean it before I used the kit, so that probably played a huge factor in it's reliability. I've cleaned it pretty well and intend on oiling it up for my next range session. I was happy with the accuracy. I was getting about 2" at 7 yards. Yeah, I know, I suck. That's what this kit is for, practice baby.

I really believe in this kit, even though I had so many problems with it. I went ahead and bought a 19/23 model through GunBroker and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It'll be a great way for my wife and sister-in-law to shoot. They won't have to worry about recoil or excessive noise.

Here's some other reviews (in no particular order):
From shooter2-indy
From Owen
YouTube Video on Assembly

(original 12/14/07)

UPDATED: I just got my 19/23 LE kit. I was on TopGlock.com and almost every other Internet retailer's waiting list for one of these and I got sick of waiting. If you're waiting, check out the GunBroker.com - I got mine for $238 plus nominal shipping.

My wife and I went out yesterday and shot about 150 rds of CCI Mini-Mags and Remington Golds both in 40 grains. This time I thoroughly cleaned the kit and lubed it with Wilson's gun grease - great stuff by the way. I didn't have any oil on hand, but hoped the grease would suffice. The only problems we had were a few FTE's that were due to the wax-lube build-up from the Mini-Mags. Otherwise, we were able to burn through the 10-rd mags without much trouble. I'm fairly confident that with enough lubrication, the Advantage Arms kits will run great.

I'll have to adjust the sights a little. The 19/23 kit was shooting a couple inches high and a little to the right at around 15-20 yards. I'm really happy that I'll be able to improve my trigger control and general handling at a fraction of the price of 9mm FMJ.

No comments: