Sunday, September 03, 2006

New toys

Well, I came back from the summer with:
  1. Kahr PM9
  2. Springfield Armory M1A Loaded
  3. Rock River Arms AR-15 Complete Lower w/6-position Stock (unknown trigger)
  4. Springfield Armory XD45ACP
My first impressions about the PM9 were:
  • god this thing is small
  • it is very controllable
  • love the trigger
  • a little rough on the finishing, especially on the polymer frame
  • a pain in the ass to take-down (it did get much easier)
  • gonna have to spend some time to learn how to shoot this thing accurately
  • and did I mention that it was small? gonna be a great carry gun
Ultimately I had some real problems with the PM9 and I'm going to have to speak with Kahr about taking a look at the barrel and the slide. I can't even describe what happened, but I'll try. The top edge of the barrel that is between the square, chamber-end and the cylindrical barrel section has gotten "mashed" for lack of a better term. The slide now catches on the top of the deformed "detent" and the weapon fails to automatically cycle between EVERY shot. This happened soon after the 200 round break-in period. I'm really anxious about this problem. I hope Kahr will help me out here.

The M1A is a hoot to shoot. I went through about 40 round of Spanish surplus with great results. I sorta forgot that I was supposed to break-in the barrel and clean it more often, but I hope that shouldn't effect the accuracy down the road. Let me stress that I'm a new shooter and new to rifles... my third string of three-rounds was 1MOA at a 100 yards! This rifle kicks butt.

I didn't get to spend a lot of time with my XD45, but here were my first impressions with this lovely piece:
  • as polymer-frames go, this thing is beautiful
  • it fit my hand very well, though the grip seemed a bit long
  • it points well
  • great features
  • accurate
  • controllable
  • and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot
So, I'm just dreaming about my next summer of fun, when I'll be able to get back and shoot some more. Lots to learn!

No comments: