Wednesday, January 25, 2006

In my brain...

I just finished responding to a comment left by Pete and I just gotta get some feedback from folks about what you're thinking... I think that many aspects of Liberalism are essential, but like Maslow's Hierarchy, we need the Conservatives. Liberals need the 2nd Amendment as the Conservatives have fought to protect it.

I think a gay couple (one day legally married) should have the ability to protect themselves and their property with a firearm. I would hope that a woman working at an abortion clinic who finds herself against a rapist out in the parking lot has the power to protect herself.

I'm not expressing this very well. I'm very aware that the founding fathers didn't really consider that all "all men were created equally" and probly wouldn't have included gays in their bill of rights if they had the choice.

I gotta get back to Maslow... we should all be striving toward a higher social mores... not stuck in the past. We are part of a modern, diverse world and we need to understand each other in order to survive the next century without another world war... but that's just it. One day, America won't be "the" super power. We'll have to share that title with the Indians, the Chinese... or somone else perhaps. And we'll still be fighting this damned war against terrorists. We'll need to be armed to protect our homeland, our families, ourselves.

But we'll also need a whole lot of other things too. We'll need universal medical care, an educational system other countries are envious of, and a stable infrastructure that allows for our children to be raised in a safe yet developmentally challenging environment.

I dunno, help me here. I'm sick of blogs that I read that just regurgitate the news or somone else's opinions. Gimme some real, genuine ideas. Challenge me! Otherwise I'll just be stuck here in a kind of limbo.

4 comments:

Tom said...

I'm glad that you think liberals should support the 2nd amendment. It's always nice to see someone from the 'other side' take up arms, as it were, in defense of liberty.

One bone to pick. Do you have any evidence whatsoever that the Founders "wouldn't have included gays in their bill of rights if they had the choice"?

Anonymous said...

Good point. I come off pretty strong there and realize that it was just a notion I had from something I might have read somewhere. I'll look around for information on the Founders and what folks though of them... but ultimately, I'm feeling much less confident that they wouldn't have included gays. They just might have. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

My biggest problem with "liberals" is they all think they're my mama. "Do this", "do that", "don't do this", "don't do that." I have little to no say in much of anything with "liberals" in charge. Stop trying to channel my mother and butt out of my life!

GAH! All those scare quotes are getting to me!

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE PEOPLE...NOT THE SIN!!!!
THAT'S BIBLICAL MY FRIENDS!!!!!