Wednesday, May 18, 2005

My Glock 27


I went through some considerable trouble to buy this "little" baby. I was unaware that it is against federal regulations to buy more than one handgun a week without filling out additional paperwork. I was on a tight time schedule to meet friends and so I had to leave and come back. I made an extra 300+ mile trip just to buy this gun. I don't regret it for a second although I've found that I can barely handle the .40 caliber.
I have pretty small wrists and my hand/arm strength isn't what it used to be when I was more physically active. I found that the pistol kicked pretty hard and that I'd limp wrist near the end of the clip which yielded occasional jams. Not good. I've always dreamed of owning a .45 caliber, but looks like I'll have to hold off on that for a little while until I can improve my pistol handling. True, there's a lot less purchase when gripping a G27, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not ready to shoot this pistol defensively. A extender off the mag might help, but I don't plan on relying on one. Until then, my next pistol will be a Glock 17 in 9mm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think the .40 is your problem nearly as much as the incredibly tiny size and weight of the gun.

I also have thin wrists and small hands, but I shoot a Kimber 1911. The heft and sturdy grip of the weapon, coupled with a straight-arm Weaver-style stance mitigates recoil considerably. However, shooting a Glock 21, which is the same size but considerably lighter, is really unpleasant for me.

A mag extension would be an excellent purchase. Also, just keep away from those Cor-Bon +P loads and you should get used to it pretty quickly. Also, for your next gun, I can tell you that .40 is really humane out of a Glock 22 or 23.

PS, It's nice to know there are other Liberal gunners besides me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Stan,
I was aprehensive about the size of the G27 and had considered the G23. I'm looking into a full or compact size Glock for my next purchase. Then comes the penny pinching for a 1911. I've heard fantastic things about the Kimbers. Which model do you have?

I can't tell you how great it is to hear from any other gunners, especially "liberal" ones like yourself (not meaning to assume too much about your political leanings). I've been enjoying reading through your blog.

Anonymous said...

Stan?

I have the Kimber Gold Match II. Yeah, I splurged. I wanted the match trigger, (It's sweeeeet) the ambi-safety, (never know when you'll have to shoot lefty) The attention at the factory, (fit and finish are superb) and I just liked the look. It's way more accurate than I am, and It's only had a few problems, one of which was a really bad round, and the other two were probably limp-wristing. The external extractor has been flawless, and it spat out 60 JHP rounds without a hitch. (I keep Federal 230 Grain Hydra-Shoks on duty. The Corbons are just too hot-loaded)

If you want to spend less, the standard Kimber Custom IIs and TLE IIs are excellent. I've handled them, and they're stellar. I'm just peculiar, and a little wealthy.

Glad you like the blog. I don't spend enough time on it, and I don't gun blog since my family reads it and they'd have puppies if they knew I was a gun owner. I assume I'll let them know some time, but now ain't it.

I'm definitely a liberal on a host of issues, but I get a little conservative on anything violence-related. Otherwise, I'd be a solid Democrat. So, basically, I'm a Democrat from 1966.

You've already got far more guns than I do. You lucky jerk....

Anonymous said...

Sorry Scott, I have no idea where I got "Stan"... I think my girlfriend and I were probably watching "South Park" when I was posting my comment.
:-)
I'd love to take a look at a Kimber. Unfortunately there isn't a dealer close to me that keeps them in stock. I'd have to special order one just to check it out. I have a feeling that even if I did "blindly" choose one, I'd still be very happy with it.

Thanks for the support and I'll keep check in with ya!

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)