Sunday, May 15, 2005

Can I store an AR-15 in New Jersey?

I think I'm going to have to call a lawyer in New Jersey about the legality of storing an AR-15 at my folks place in NJ. I know there's a law against ownership of this kind of gun in the state of NJ, but technically my parents aren't the owners, users, or would even be aware of the firearm.

It is unlawful to knowingly possess any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a Permit to Carry. It is unlawful to knowingly possess any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FID).
Exceptions. No Permit to Carry or FID is required:
To keep or carry any firearm about a person's place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him; a place of business shall be deemed a fixed location.

New Jersey law restricts the ownership of certain semi-automatic and other firearms based upon their military appearance.

High Capacity Magazines or Feeding Devices.
New Jersey prohibits the manufacture, transport, shipment, sale or disposal of large capacity ammunition magazines, unless the magazine is intended to be used for authorized military or law enforcement purposes. N.J. Rev. Stat § 2C:39-9h. New Jersey law defines “large capacity ammunition magazine” as a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly into a semi-automatic firearm. Section 2C:39-1y.


My question is how can I own and M4 with hi-capacity magazines while I'm out of the country?

No comments: