Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Defining a Liberal

I suppose this is a good place to start out. I consider myself a liberal through the common definitions:

  • I embrace multiculturalism, human rights, civil liberties, freedom of speech and the press, free market and trade, a constitutional government, a limited degree of governmental intervention in the economy, an open mind to ethical issues, financial aid.
  • I am a child of a capitalist society, however I am vexed by the class-based system in that it is not fully democratic or participatory.
  • I find the concept of a truely open society very interesting, where the politics and laws continually evolve to meet the needs of the people.

I know this leaves a lot to be described. Keep in mind, this is only a beginning point for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Came across your site looking for advice on a good .22 pistol to go with my .40 Glock. I am commenting because I am a "liberal" who owns a Glock, a pickup, a jeep, and an explorer, as well as 2 ATVs and a few motorcycles. While living in SC, I saw Anita Hill speak one night and went to a Monster Truck jam with a British lesbian the next, and then finished the weekend by driving to DC for a NOW rally against domestic violence and then driving back to my graduate business program. I am a "NASCAR democrat" who tries to be fuel efficient, despite owning more vehicles than some small towns. (I also telecommute to work). You're right that people's views are more complex than the political labels reveal. It's too bad that you were pushed to disavow the "liberal" label instead of continuing to challenge the popular notion of what it means to be "liberal." I think that positions traditionally considers conservative (gun ownership) and liberal (gay marriage) are sometimes more similar than people realize, if you break them down to the core premise of where the line should be drawn on government intervention. Just my $.02