Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Going Hunting (I hope)

There's a guy at work, Dwight, I love shooting the shit with. We'll start off talking about work and in 15 minutes or so we'll finish up with business and begin going on about almost anything. We're both techies and Mac Users, so there's lots to go on about.

I was telling him how I had wanted to learn to hunt years ago, when I didn't even own a gun. There was a sales rep who used to come into a store I worked at and he offered me a trade. He'd take me hunting (muzzleloading) if I shared my wood-lore in return. I've always regretted not taking him up on the deal.

Back to today, Dwight said that he'll be going out soon with his father to go hunting during the flintlock season and I quickly invited myself along. He said OK and I've been amped all day today.

Now, I still don't own a gun, well a flintlock that is. Even if I did just get one, I wouldn't actually bring it in the field since I probably couldn't shoot it well enough to hunt game. I don't own any camo, so that I'll have to work on.

My wife is great. She was happy for me. We'll see how that continues.

Now I'll need to begin thinking about everything I'll need for a day in the woods. After I figure that out, I'll need to begin thinking of a rifle for next year.
  • I wonder what I should do in exchange for this great opportunity with Dwight and his father. It really means a lot to me.
  • What are the licensing laws here in PA?
  • What's up with the hunter safety course?
  • What kind of clothing will I need to get?
  • What kind of gear will I need to bring with me?
  • What kinds of rifles should I be thinking of for next season?
  • http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/mzModernFlint.php
  • http://www.cva.com/
  • What are some good articles I should begin reading up on for the season?
UPDATE: I just realized that I'm traveling most of the hunting season. Crap.

No comments: