Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Only Black or White?

I subscribe to a couple of forums. One of them is the Warriors for the 2nd Amendment. There are a number of interesting posts there and everyone seems well behaved for a forum. I recently read a post from the 4th.

This fellow presents an interesting argument...
Remember.... Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another:
reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a
choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your
bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one
of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's
it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact
through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social
interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is
the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use
reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your
threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon
that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger,
a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger,
and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys
with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical
strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a
defender.
The problem I see is that he has limited his argument to a binary paradigm. I'm sure he would agree (reason) that there are many more responses than just "reason and force". (Please feel free to add your own as well...) What about... ?
  • walking away
  • humor
  • non-compliance
  • friendship (I know it sounds silly, but it is an option)
Those are just a couple of general responses. There are probably many others depending upon the circumstances.

I'm not saying that using a firearm to defend yourself is not an option. Just the opposite. I believe that everyone should have that option as a means of self-defense when all other options are exhausted. I understand that those options can quickly run out within seconds depending on the situation, but to think that we walk around everyday with only to possible actions is only inviting serious reprocussions. You're practically flipping a coin with almost any request.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple courtesy?

Actually, the poster is correct but he errs by placing way too much emphasis on force. 99.9% of the time, reason is sufficient.

The poster's fallacy is that by carrying a weapon, you become immune to force. Unless your name is Neo and you've just stepped off the set of The Matrix, you're still subject to having your ass kicked or your vital organs filled with annoying holes, be it by way of a pencil or a firearm.

My best friend's gal-pal says I'm not reasonable about this since I'm large and male but I've found that an easy smile and a soft answer will handle most situations. For the few where it falls short, you have force but a society that turns to force as its first recourse is not a place I'd choose to live.

Simply put: Persuasion # Submission.

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts. You're lucky that you seem to have good folks to talk about stuff like this with. I wish I had my old friends around to shoot-the-sh!t with.

You bring up a good point that needs to be emphasized. Even with a CCW and training, stuff can go bad and we are not immune to force and it comes in many different forms.

Anonymous said...

Easiest thing is to avoid being in a bad spot in the first place. Sure it's not always possible but nothing in the world will save you if some goblin decides your looks suck and that you deserve a cap in the back of your head for being ugly and in the wrong neighborhood.

Not that any of the preceding stops me from carrying. I much prefer having the option to shoot back. I just don't delude myself that all the years of practice combined with the best ironmongery and the most lovingly crafted handloads will make me immortal or substitute for poor judgment.

I earn my living caring for sick people, not breaking down doors, so as much as I love the shooting sports, they're still sports for me on a daily basis.

I try to do a quality job teaching people to be safe with firearms and, as far as I know, I've been successful but I won't take a student who thinks he (or she, but let's be real, most women know better ways to hurt you) is going to learn to be Neo, or even Clint Eastwood. Guns are a pretty damn permanent solution and anyone who doesn't realize that is still a child who has no business handling them.

Er. . . Sorry, preacher-mode snuck up on me.

Anonymous said...

You raise an excellent point. As much as we can train, equip ourselves, and prepare mentally, the ambusher usually has the advantage - and a pretty deadly one.

We just have to do our best and "be prepared".