Sunday, March 04, 2007

$5000 Shopping Spree

Starting with what I already have (in black) I'm looking to add some essentials to get me going before I have to start saving again. Additions in blue.
  • Springfield Armory M1a Loaded
    • 4 x 20rd magazines
    • 6 x 20rd magazines $240
    • cleaning kit $15
    • ?? sling
    • ?? spare parts
  • Ruger 10/22
    • 3 x 10rd rotary magazines
    • ?? sling
  • Springfield Armory XD45ACP
    • 2 x 13rd magazines
    • 6 x 13rd magazines $150
    • ?? holster $40
  • Glock 27
    • 3 x 9rd magazines
    • 1 x 15rd magazine
    • 5 x 15rd magazines $125
    • ?? CCW holster
  • Glock 17
    • 4 x 17rd magazines
    • 6 x 17rd magazines $150
    • .22LR Conversion Kit & 3 mags $325
    • ?? holster
  • Kahr PM9
    • 1 x 6rd magazine
    • 2 x 7rd magazines
    • 3 x 7rd magazines $100
    • ?? pocket holster
  • Browning Buckmaster
    • 4 x 10rd magazines
    • 6 x 10rd magazines $100
  • Rifle/Pistol cleaning kits
  • Ammo
    • .308
    • .223
    • .45
    • .40
    • 9mm
    • .22
Priorities are:
  1. 12ga Home Defense Shotgun
  2. POF 556 Piston Upper
  3. POF 762 Piston Rifle
A hypothetical order from Bushmaster
Another from Natchez
And another from Topglock
I'm not doing such a great job staying within my budget, but this is what it is all about. Start big and work down from there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's no price next to the M1A, but if i subtract from your total it looks like you paid about $1300?

i am thinking of getting one of these - any special recommendations with regard to ordering? have you shot it yet, any scopes with it, etc.?

Anonymous said...

I left the price off the M1a since I already purchased it. Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that. This is a "work in progress".

I paid a little over $1400 for it, thinking back. I might not have chosen the best dealer to go through at the time. I have a lot of work as a sales person and I should have known in hindsight.

I prepaid for my rifle, an MA9826 w/ fiberglass and a SS barrel, a couple of months ahead of a set pickup date (a range of days within a week), only to arrive at my dealer's to find out that the owner had sold my rifle to another customer... well knowing that I was going to be by to pick it up. To be fair, in the end with out too much fuss, I had them "special order" another one which I was very lucky to pick up before I was outta town again.

I guess they're quite popular now.

Short of the long, choose your dealer carefully. You probably don't have as strict of a schedule as I do, but it could be anything.

I have only shot it a few times. I am only a beginning shooter and I was simply amazed that the second three-round group was MOA using irons and South African surplus ammo. I had so much fun shooting it, I didn't properly clean the barrel during the break-in process and I'm hoping I didn't screw up the barrel failing to do so.

I'd love to get a mount for it one day. Someone at the shop spooked me into thinking that I might not be lucky enough to have gotten a milspec receiver from Springfield. He said that if it wasn't milspec, I might have problems attaching something like an A.R.M.S. mount, but it looks like recent versions are pretty adjustable to fit differences in alignment.

Any suggestions for optics?