Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Wish list: Mossberg SP 590 12 ga


I can't deny the overwhelming advice to pick up a 12 ga for home defense. I don't think I'll get a chance to fire one before I buy, but I should be able to learn to handle a 12 ga. I just hope my girlfriend can learn too. The 12 ga sounds more attractive for the larger selection of rounds and it seems to be the most abdundant of the shotgun shells. A light and a SideSaddle shell holder should be the perfect mates to round out the package.

Parros has a 590 for $409. The unfortunate thing about their website is you can never quite tell what they have in stock. I've tried emailing them, but Henry doesn't write back. I'm paranoid that he's a little elitist, but he has a great shop and great prices.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unless you are really tiny,(and I'm talking midget tiny here) a 12 is not really too bad. A word of advice on load, however- NO BUCKSHOT if you have neighbors within 100 yards. If you have to shoot, pellets don't just stop if you miss, or even when you hit.
Use heavy field load birdshot- huge ragged wounds at any in-the-house distance, but very unlikely to accidentally kill the neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Good advice... and I'll stop worrying about the kick on the 12ga. I'm 5'8" and weigh in at 145lbs, relatively fit and energetic. I've heard that the right fit and technique are some of the most important aspects to learning how to shoot a 12ga effectively. I'm definitely motivated to learn. Thanks again!