Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Cashman Gunshow Dec 15-16th

This weekend is another "Crossroads of the West" gun show here in Las Vegas. I went to the same show in October. From their website, it looks as though they have four shows here a year.

I'd never been to a gun show before the one in October. I've been to a few trade shows before. Two Macworld conventions - one in Boston and one in NYC and an Outdoor Retailer show in Utah. Those trade shows had glitz and glamor, but it wasn't really the scene where you could really buy something for yourself. You could get a lot of free products, but it was more about showing off the stuff for the upcoming year.

This gun show is more a massive flea market, with the coolest toys you can ever imagine. There's a lot of silly junk as well, but you know what they say about "one man's junk..." Not much glitz or glamor here, but that's alright with me.

I went by myself the first time. I found an online coupon that saved me a buck on the entry cost. When I got there I was buzzing with excitement. There were folks in the parking lot returning to their cars with rifles, pistols, gun cases, and ammo pulled in heavy duty carts. It was awesome and I hadn't even been inside yet. There were families, old folks, young folks, almost anyone you could imagine.

Unfortunately, inside I wasn't able to take any pictures. It was mayhem. I set up my cruising path and drooled over the tables and tables of guns and accessories. I bought some really good beef jerky, some ammo, a mag or two and then I finally decided to pick up my Glock 30. I'd been dreaming of getting one ever since I decided to relegate my Kahr PM9 to "pocket-backup".

There was a huge line since the national background check system had been off-line. I stood in line behind a guy that was buying an XD40 and another who was buying his first Colt AR-15. I can't remember off hand, but I got a pretty good deal. I was given a special option to pay with a personal check rather than have to pay an additional surcharge to use my credit card.

The gentleman buying the XD40 was in his 50's and was buying his first handgun. He had his son and grandson visit him in line and they were off looking for different ammo, so perhaps his son had guns and turned him into a proud gun owner. I said he'd be very happy with his XD40. I told him I had an XD45ACP. I said that the only thing I've heard that comes remotely close to criticism is that they aren't "from" America. Thinking that Springfield Armory made them, he thought they were American. I didn't push it. He'll be happy.

This weekend, my wife is coming with me. We'll probably buy more jerky, some ammo, perhaps a mag or two, and maybe a few odds and ends. I'd really like her to be less mystified with gun culture. I'd really like to see her a shooter as well. I might bring my brother-in-law as well. He's been out shooting with me as well and might enjoy the scene.

I'd really like to buy some stuff off my wish list, but that'll have to wait.

No comments: