Thursday, May 24, 2007

Justify your spending

"I got interests, not hobbies... you don't have to pay for things your interested in." - George Carlin

I wish I could be content with only interests, but alas I've had a number of hobbies - all of which get to be expensive over time. My long standing hobby has been computers. Sure, at times they've been my profession or at least a significant part of it. I've even been able to write them off for tax purposes. But, I use them a lot in my spare time as well. I don't play computer games often, but I'm usually tweaking my server, etc. It's crazy how much money I've spent on computers over my life time. I've got a network at home that out numbers the family members 2:1 - four of them, looking at a soon to be five.

The reason I'm writing is because I was just looking into the Mac OS X Leopard server that's due to come out next year for around $1000. "Not bad", I think - for what it will do. I can't justify buying it, but I'd definitely consider it. Having my own server kicks ass, even if I'm not using it to commercially host websites.

But then hold on. That's a new Glock, or XD45ACP, with a few extra mags and a half dozen boxes of premium ammo. Now my server will rock for another 5, 10, perhaps even 12 years, since computers age like dog years if not faster.
10.5 dog years per human year for the first 2 years, then 4 dog years per human year for each year after. (from Online Conversions)
But my new handgun or rifle will likely out last me. Especially the way I like to anally clean my weapons. As long as the S doesn't hit the fan... they'll be around a long time. Now that's what I call a value.

At the beginning, my new wife didn't mind my arsenal. Now she's complaining about why I need so many, that's 8 right now. I think we need a couple more to cover our bases and that's just what I'm going to do.

I think I'm going to keep my hobbies as well, but they'll probably get a smaller piece of the pie. :-)

I wonder how others balance their interests?

No comments: